Monday, May 3, 2010

I did it!!!

It is May 3rd and I have completed the 2010 LI Marathon- yay!! I am sore but my worst injury is a bad toe that is swollen and red. I can't let it touch the ground and I can't put on socks or shoes. That is not bad for running 26.2 miles in over 80 degree humid weather!

The race was much more difficult than I thought it would be. Many people switched to the half marathon because of the heat (smart people) and I was feeling excellent at the 13 mile mark so I kept going. At that point, I had run 10 minute miles and thought I would be coming in at 4 hours and 20 minutes. At the 19 mile marker, I was feeling really bad. My heart felt like it was beating uncontrollably. I could not get it to slow down and started feeling like I would end up in the hospital. At mile 22, I wanted to end it.

I never thought that it would be so difficult to finish. When I had 2 miles left, it might as well been 10 miles. I felt like I couldn't run another inch and there was only 2 miles. I knew that if I kept running, I would be at the finish line in about 25 minutes yet, I wanted to jump into a car and end the pain. I still remember when I got to a sign that said there was only a 1/2 mile left. A 1/2 mile and I wanted to cry, not because it was almost done but because I believed I couldn't finish even a 1/2 mile.

When I did finish, my blood sugar was very low so I had to go get food and drink right away. I felt like I was going to pass out. I couldn't talk to my family and friends. I just had to try and feel better instead of throwing up. I got it under control pretty fast and was able to smile and talk after about 15 minutes. It is funny how fast you recover from feeling like you are going to die to feeling like you can sit, eat and socialize after running 26.2 miles.

It was worth it but I will never do it again. I often focused on my grandfather during the race and I am proud of the money I raised and the race I finished. BUT NEVER AGAIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment