Sunday, January 31, 2010

Week 14- LONG RUN : 2 1/2 hours-ouch! (15 miles?)

I was suppose to start my long run at sunrise, around 7am yesterday. The temperature was about 8 degrees with a chilling wind. I finally made it out around 9:30. I knew I had to run until 12 pm and was not excited about it. It was freezing. I ran to two towns over, came back and headed to the beach. Half way through, one side of my leg was completely numb to the touch. I had no pain in any part of my body but I felt exhausted.

When I had about an hour left of running, I wanted to stop. I really wanted to walk a little. I thought, "what is the big deal." Just a rest. During the marathon, I will have to stop to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water. But I remembered people telling me about how I will feel like quitting when I do the marathon. And that I will have to use my mind, not my body to run through it. So I thought it would be a good exercise, fighting through it, for training. It was tough. I just kept running and thinking, "almost there, almost there." I completed the run in 2 hours and 28 minutes.

When I stopped running, my legs kept propelling me forward. They would not stop moving. So I was walking fast and felt like I had no control. Later, I had body pain ALL OVER! It hurt to move, walk, get up from a chair. But it wasn't "injury pain." It was soreness which is ok. I didn't get smart and realize to take Tylenol until the next day when I was still hurting.

I have to drive the route to see exactly how long it was but if I did the 10 minute mile without stopping (which I did!), I should have run about 15 miles today. More than half way!

Hoping to run every other day for the next two weeks. My next long run will be 2 hours and 50 minutes, maybe in about two weeks. I am going to post my fundraising letter by tomorrow. Then I will have to finally commit. SCARED!

No comments:

Post a Comment